- 2 (28-oz.) cans whole tomatoes, drained of their juices
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots, quartered
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. low-sodium vegetable broth
Preheat oven to 400 °F. In a mixing bowl, combine drained whole tomatoes, carrots, shallots, and 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil, and toss to coat. Season vegetables with pepper and place on a baking sheet. Roast until caramelized, about 30 minutes.
Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add remaining olive oil and allow to warm. Add crushed red pepper flakes and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for 1–2 minutes, then add 2 Tbsp. of vegetable broth. Cook another 2 minutes. Add roasted vegetables, crushed tomatoes, and remaining vegetable broth. Season with pepper and simmer for 15 minutes. Purée the soup with an immersion blender until uniform in texture. Add more vegetable broth to adjust consistency if desired.